The South Downs Poetry Festival
has been set up by a group of poetry enthusiasts to celebrate, develop and promote poetry across the area covered by the South Downs National Park.
Here are the key dates for July 2016:
- Saturday 16 – Poetry Day in Lewes.
- Sunday 17 – Performance Poetry Bash in Midhurst.
- Tuesday 19 – Poetry Day in Petersfield. The Poetry Bike Tour leaves Eastbourne with events in Afriston and Firle.
- Wednesday 20 – Bike tour in Lewes, Ditching and Steyning. Events in Ditchling and Steyning.
- Thursday 21 – Bike tour hits Petworth, Midhurst and South Harting. Event at the the Weald and Downland Museum, Singleton.
- Friday 22 – 24 Poetry events of all kinds in and around Petersfield in Hampshire. Andrew McMillan reads in Steep Village Hall (Friday evening); Penelope Shutttle and Jonathan Edwards join him as we take over the Festival Hall for the day (Saturday) and on Sunday there is a chance to look back at the contribution made by Downland connected poems during the Great War.